- What did you do today?
- Briefly describe your day’s activities
Today, We started off with knowing the parts of the distillation column and then we went on with the procedures and started the experiment. We then waited for the re-boiler to heat up, we waited for 30 minutes for the the re-boiler to reach the temperature of 80 degrees and waited for a while for the temperature to be stable(temperature does not fluctuate too much). After that, some of us took samples, while some of us took the temperatures of T1-T14 and the pressure gauge.
Next we did activity 5.2 , we changed the reflux to 5:1, 5 seconds worth of condensate goes back to column for every 1 second worth of condensate to the product receiver, though reflux valve operations.
- What did you learn today?
- Discuss any learning points from today’s activities
I learnt how to calculate pressure from water(millimetres)
I learnt how to operate and understand the distillation column.
I learnt that the speed of the condensation, evaporation will change if the reflux mode is changed.
- How do you feel about today’s activities?
- Describe how the project has affected your understanding of the discipline and how it may be applied elsewhere
- Share your insights for the day
This project has opened my mind, rather than the simple distillation set-up, the model refinery distillation column has been an eye-opener and it seemed a lot more confusing and complicated at first but the teaching staff have made it more simpler for us.